The Savannah Sports Council was recently named a 2018 Champion of Economic Impact in Sports Tourism in the midsize market for the popular Publix Savannah Women’s Half & 5K held in Savannah each spring.
Sports Destination Management, the leading publication with the largest circulation of sports event planners and tournament directors in the sports tourism market, recently announced the winners via a press release to sports media. This year’s winners are responsible for contributing more than $700 million to the national economy over the past year.
The most outstanding of those received were recognized and presented with event details in a special feature published in the November/December 2018 issue of Sports Destination Management. The entire article with full details on the winners listed below can also be found online along with a special feature on economic impact.
Mid Market Champions
- 2018 CIAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournament & Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority
- 2018 AAU Junior Olympic Games & Catch Des Moines
- Forrest Wood Cup & Capital City/Lake Murray Country Regional Tourism Board
- The American Legion World Series & Shelby, North Carolina, Chamber of Commerce
- WFDF 2018 World Ultimate Club Championships & Warren County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Gulf Coast Challenge Powered by the Mobile Sports Authority & Mobile Sports Authority
- 2018 Jam On It Reno AAU Memorial Day Tournament & Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority
- Minto US OPEN Pickleball Championships & Collier County Visitors Bureau
- Publix Savannah Women’s Half Marathon and 5K & Savannah Sports Council
- 2018 TSSAA Spring Fling & Rutherford County Convention and Visitors Bureau
About Sports Destination Management
Sports Destination Management is written for the largest audience of sports event managers and tournament directors in the sports tourism market and maintains a focus on the important issues surrounding event location decisions and event management. With content from experts and thought leaders, SDM provides in-depth coverage of sports event planning and execution through incisive and relevant articles as well as insightful, real-world case studies showcasing best practices and successful event production.
In addition to the publication, SDM offers extensive digital resources through SportsDestinations.com and the e-newsletter SDM Blitz, both providing decision support tools for organizers to ensure successful events at all levels of play.