The Coastal Georgia Military Affairs Coalition recently visited Washington, D.C., for their annual Military Fly-in. This group comprises business and government leaders from Chatham County, Bryan County, Liberty County, the City of Hinesville, and the City of Savannah. Their high-impact meetings included discussions with key figures such as Honorable Gabe Camarillo, Under Secretary of the Army; Honorable Rachel Jacobson, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Installations, Energy, and Environment; and Lieutenant General Kevin Vereen, Deputy Chief of Staff, U.S. Army. Senators Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, as well as Representatives Buddy Carter, Andrew Clyde, Rich McCormick, Sanford Bishop, and Austin Scott, also participated in these critical discussions.
The primary focus of these meetings was to fortify the already robust relationship between our community and the military. The Coalition addressed numerous critical topics:
- FS/HAAF – A Strategic Power Projection Platform: The Coalition emphasized the significance of Fort Stewart/Hunter Army Airfield as the nation’s strategic power projection platform along the East Coast.
- Round-the-Clock Support: Members of our community rally to provide unwavering support to our Soldiers and their families, 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Assisting with Recruitment Shortfalls: The Coastal Georgia community stands ready to help with any recruitment shortfalls, ensuring a strong and capable military force.
- Enhancing Spousal Employment Licensure: The Coalition discussed the importance of improving licensure opportunities for military spouses, easing their transition into the local workforce.
- Quality School Systems: They highlighted the presence of outstanding educational institutions in our community, ensuring a bright future for military families.
- Outstanding Medical Infrastructure: The remarkable medical infrastructure was recognized as a valuable asset for soldiers and their families.
- Retirement Destination: Coastal Georgia was endorsed as an attractive retirement destination for soldiers and their families.
In addition to these critical discussions, the Coalition extended their gratitude to the Army and Legislative leadership for their unwavering support, which included:
- Continuing Funding for Air National Guard’s Combat Readiness Training Center: Ongoing support was secured to ensure the Air National Guard’s Combat Readiness Training Center receives the funding it needs.
- New Helicopter Hangar at Hunter Army Airfield: Appropriated funds were earmarked for constructing a new helicopter hangar at Hunter Army Airfield, enhancing its operational capabilities.
- Eight C-130Js for the 165th Airlift Wing: Eight C-130J aircraft were secured for the 165th Airlift Wing, a testament to the dedication and impact of our Coalition.