Visitor Center Director
Title: Visitor Center Director
Reports to: President of Visit Savannah
Send Resumes to: DGeeslin@VisitSavannah.com (no phone calls please)
Overview of Position:
Responsible for overseeing operations of multiple visitor centers located throughout Savannah, Chatham County, and Tybee Island. Responsibility includes management of 2 full time and 22 part time staff as well as budgeting and financial management of all visitor centers and gift shops.
- Make sure all Visitor Center locations are open during published hours of operation and have well trained, informed, and friendly staff to interact with visitors.
- Work cooperatively with the state operated I-95 location and periodically check the Visit Savannah displays there.
- Responsible for managing the budget and controlling expenses at all locations.
- Make sure that VIC employees keep Insider Guides, maps and all member brochures well stocked so that visitors have as much member information and literature as possible.
- Responsible for contacting Coastal Heritage Society about any building maintenance issues, such as AC, heating, lighting, etc. at the MLK site.
- Work cooperatively with Coastal Heritage Society and the City in overseeing the overall operations of the MLK visitor center.
- Work cooperatively with the City staff in overseeing the River St. visitor center.
- Interview job applicants and checks references.
- Responsible for all counseling, reprimands, and dismissal of staff.
- Assist new members with the guidelines for placing brochures at any of the VIC sites.
- Promotes the VIC as a marketing venue for tourism related member businesses.
- Oversee the operations and sales of the VIC gift shop.
- Review and approve biweekly payroll to be sent to Finance.
- Review monthly staff schedules.
- Approve all invoices and assign expense codes to the items purchased for the gift shop and for the operation of the visitor centers.
- Enter invoices and payments into CRM if the business is a Chamber member.
- Pull monthly “Best Sellers” reports for the gift shop to see that the best items are being kept in stock.
- Send monthly gift shop inventory to the Finance Dept.
- Review and send weekly gift shop sales reports to the Finance Dept.
- Handle all employee documentation for personnel records.
- Arrange periodic educational staff meetings.
- Review monthly visitor count by state reports.
- Assist with biannual gift shop inventory.
- Enforce the City Tour Ordinance that does not allow tour companies in the VIC.
- Visit all visitor sites as frequently as is possible.
- Share any emails or information with staff regarding openings, closures, and events that would be relevant in assisting visitors.
- Provide newsletter photos and content.
- Responsible for renewing advertising contracts for signage at the City Market VIC.
Responsible for performance of all visitor center personnel. Works directly with the Operations Supervisor and Gift Shop Manager.
Education and Experience/Key Competencies:
- Must have good people skills.
- Must have management experience.
- Must have excellent communications skills for external and internal communications.
- Must be a problem solver.
- Must be able to delegate.
- Must be responsible and dependable.
- Must have computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word.
- Must be a self-starter; be self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Must be flexible and be able to adjust to changing conditions, circumstances, and priorities.
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude and cooperate with staff.
Bachelor’s degree preferred as well as experience in related hospitality field.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening hours. This position requires occasional domestic travel.
This job description describes the general nature and work level to be performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of job responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.