The Chamber works very close with our local elected officials and key staff. Please see below for a listing of some of the key local issues that the Chamber is currently working on:
- Project DeRenne: Follow this important City of Savannah infrastructure project from the ‘study’ stage to the engineering and implementation stage.
- Focus on Regionalism.
- Work with state elected officials as state-wide transportation funding solutions are considered and implemented.
- Advocate for improvements to Highway 80 to Tybee Island to ensure safety.
- I-16/I-95 Lighting: Monitor the project to improve the lighting and to widen the intersection to ensure it is safer and more efficient
- Support SEDA and the new four county authority partnership to support major projects in our region.
- Work with the City of Savannah to best implement the upcoming parking study.
- Evaluate broader use of credit or transportation payment cards at meters.
- Work with the Housing Authority of Savannah to improve the quality, availability and affordability of assisted housing.
- Assist Director with Board development.
- Continue down town master plan involvement to assure affordable, yet safe and quality housing remains available.
- Work though needed areas of refinement to assure the continued success of the Police Merger
- Develop a Public Safety Compact with agreed upon safety measurements coupled with specific areas of business community support
- Monitor CNT management and leadership to assure the most effective structure for the community.
- Work to install cameras in high-crime areas and through the Squares as soon as possible. Phase II, augment lighting as necessary.
- Assist and support the Chief in securing the departments' needs to improve public safety, including but not limited to, securing street lighting, obtaining take home cars for officers, equipping vehicles with license plate readers, and installing cameras.
Inspections and Permitting:
- Work with Chamber businesses and SEDA to continue refinement of City processes and engage in new site location evaluation to assure accessibility.
- Monitor staffing and retention/vacancies to assure personnel adequate to meet demand.
- Act as the liaison between Chamber members and city staff to assist in inspection and permitting.