The Chamber stays very close to our local elected officials and key staff. Please see below for a listing of some of the key local issues that the Chamber is currently working on:
- East/West: Move the DeRenne area improvement solution(s) from the ‘study’ stage to the engineering and implementation stage.
- Reframe the community debate to what is best for the whole community, rather than the ‘not-in-my-backyard’ debate of today.
- Build on the vision of the completed project garnering support for the known rather than allowing people to play upon the fear of the unknown.
- Implement a short-term plan to slow traffic and improve safety.
- Develop and agreed upon long-term plan to reduce truck traffic.
- Develop a plan to begin the process of multi-county transportation planning at the County level.
- I-16/I-95 Lighting: Develop funding support to better light and make the intersection safer.
- Evaluate meter time adjustments to allow for business meetings of 60 minutes (i.e. 90 minute meters)
- Evaluate broader use of credit or transportation payment cards at meters
- Work with the Housing Authority of Savannah to improve the quality, availability and affordability of assisted housing
- Assist Director with Board development
- Continue down town master plan involvement to assure affordable, yet safe and quality housing remains available
- Develop a Public Safety Compact with agreed upon safety measurements coupled with specific areas of business community support
- Work though needed areas of refinement to assure the continued success of the Police Merger
- Monitor CNT management and leadership to assure the most effective structure for the community.
- Work to install cameras in high-crime areas and through the Squares as soon as possible. Phase II, augment lighting as necessary.
Inspections and Permitting:
- Continue refinement of City processes and engage in new site location evaluation to assure accessibility. In association with SEDA
o Monitor staffing and retention/vacancies to assure personnel adequate to meet demand
Focus on county services to improve customer satisfaction and reduce processing time. Develop recommendations by 3rd Quarter.