Chatham Area Transit (CAT)
610 W. Oglethorpe Ave., 31401
900 E. Gwinnett St., 31401 | 233-5767 | www.catchacat.org
CAT offers 19 fixed bus routes in Savannah and Chatham County. Fare for one-way service is $1.50 and discounted weekly and monthly passes are available.
The DOT Shuttle, which transports passengers in the Historic District, provides free and convenient service from the Transit Center to many downtown hotels and the Savannah Visitor Information Center, many historic sites and local restaurants.
CAT also offers the 100X Airport Express for direct service from the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport to the Joe Murray Rivers, Jr. Intermodal Transit Center, as well as bike sharing. Catch a CAT!
447-4026 | www.connectonthedot.com
The DOT is a fare-free service of Savannah Mobility Management System, a public-private partnership created to help visitors and residents get around downtown. Included in the system are 30-passenger shuttles serving 12 stops in the Historic District; a 54-passenger authentic 1930s streetcar with six stops along River Street; and the Savannah Belles Ferry (see below).
Port of Savannah – Georgia Ports Authority
2 Main St., Garden City, 31408 | 964-3811 | www.gaports.com
The Port of Savannah is the fourth-largest container port on the U.S. East Coast. The Georgia Ports Authority (GPA) operates two deepwater terminals at Savannah: Garden City Terminal and Ocean Terminal. Among the primary imports making their way through the Port of Savannah are furniture; retail consumer goods; machinery, appliances and electronics; and hardware and housewares. Major exports are wood pulp, food, paper and paperboard, clay and chemicals.
Savannah Belles Water Ferries
233-5767 | Website
Free water ferry service between downtown Savannah and Hutchinson Island is available seven days a week from River Street at City Hall Landing and Waving Girl Landing over to the Trade Center Landing. The ferry service is operated by Chatham Area Transit (CAT).
Rules of the Road
- Georgia law requires that occupants of the front seats of passenger vehicles wear seat safety belts. Children 6 or younger must be properly restrained in a restraining system appropriate for the child’s weight and height.
- Maximum Speed Limits (unless otherwise posted): All vehicles — 55 mph. Rural Interstate — 70 mph. Business or residential district — 30 mph.
- Headlights must be used when it is raining or when visibility is limited.
- It is permissible in Georgia to make a right turn on red after stop except where posted.
- While driving in the Historic District: Yield when approaching a square; vehicles traveling around the square have the right of way.
Mileage From Savannah:
|Hilton Head Island, SC||38|
Tybee Island GA 31328
Savannah GA 31401